Auckland Council are seeking feedback on a new Auckland Council Navigation Bylaw 2021 and associated controls from Monday 16 November 2020 to Sunday 14 February 2021.
The proposed new bylaw and controls aim to help minimise the risk of accidents, nuisance and damage within Auckland’s navigable waters. NZ Marine would support the proposed new bylaw.
The new bylaw and controls would:
- Increase the maximum speed limit on the Waitematā Harbour Zone to 18 knots (currently 12 knots).
- Clarify existing rules, including about swimming, events and support vessels.
- Make new rules about vessels such as motorised surfboards.
- Amend existing rules about carrying a means of communication on a vessel, to carrying at least two independent forms of communication on a vessel.
- Align rules about the use of Ōrākei Basin with current accepted practices.
- Remove rules about Commercial Vessels for Hire and Reward as this is addressed in separate legislation (Health and Safety at Work (Adventure Activities) Regulations 2016).
- Remove rules about speed around marine mammals as this is better addressed under the Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978.
- Update the format and wording of the bylaw and associated controls.
You can have your say on the proposal from Monday 16 November 2020 until Sunday 14 February 2021 by visiting: akhaveyoursay.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/navigation-safety-bylaw.
Or for more information on how to have your say by attending a one-on-one session with the Bylaw Panel on Tuesday 9 February 2021, at a time between 8:30am and 5:30pm. You need to register by 5pm on Tuesday 2 February 2021.